U-M Students

There are two types of jobs listed on this site: Federal Work-Study and non-Work-Study.

Federal Work-Study jobs are only available to U-M undergraduate and graduate students who have applied for financial aid and been awarded Federal Work-Study funding.

All non-Work-Study jobs are available to all U-M students.

Find a Job

Conduct a search of available jobs, then apply online or contact employers for interviews. Also, check out a listing of all jobs in the Job Planner.

Note: Applying for jobs online does NOT guarantee you will be granted an interview or be hired.

American Reads tutors needed
telefund jobs

Steps to be Hired

Before starting your job search, go to the Wolverine Access > Student Business page and complete the U-M Student Temporary Employment Application.

Once you have been offered a job, you must complete the materials for hiring to be officially hired for the job. Please be prepared to complete all required employment forms.

Required Forms

  1. Federal Form I-9 Employmnet Eligibility Verification Form
    The Form I-9 is simple to complete. You must present an original document or documents that establish your identity and employment eligibility. Please review the back side of the I-9 form for all acceptable documents.
  2. Direct Deposit Authorization
    Direct Deposit is the University’s recommended method of delivering your paycheck. Your paycheck is deposited directly into your bank account, and you can access your pay stubs from any computer using Wolverine Access > Student Business.
  3. W-4 Tax (Federal and Michigan Tax Withholding)
    Upon hire, the University assumes a Federal and Michigan tax filing status of “single with no exemptions.” If your filing or exemption status is different from this, please update the information in Wolverine Access > Student Business. Look for the Federal and Michigan W-4 links.

    In most instances, you may update your Federal W-4 information using Wolverine Access. First, follow the steps to view your W-4 information. Make changes to your Federal W-4 information and submit.

    If you are not a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident, you cannot update your Federal W-4 information using the web; you must complete a hardcopy form. Both forms are available for printing from the W-4 page on Wolverine Access.
  4. Work-Study Job Certification Form
    Only complete this form if your employer is a non-University agency.


Beware of employment scams. Here are some tips to be safe:

  • Use common sense. If a potential employer asks you to participate in an activity that makes you feel uncomfortable, don’t do it.
  • Be wary of check-cashing scams. If someone asks you to deposit a check or money order into your personal account and send money to another individual, you should refuse. Don’t deposit a check or money order into your personal bank account and forward a percentage to the new employer.
  • Avoid job listings that use language such as “money transfers” or “wiring funds.”
  • A potential, legitimate employer will not request your bank account, credit card or Paypal account number or other information.
  • Do not fax copies of your identification or Social Security number to an unknown person.
Recently posted jobs
Interviewer II
The goal of Contact Tracers is to help keep the University of Michigan students, faculty, staff, and...
Laboratory Assistant
Under the direction of the University of Michigan Pathology Department Facilities Manager, the stude...
Program Assistant
The Office of Academic Multicultural Initiatives (OAMI) is dedicated to supporting the University of...